The kitchen is the most common area where fires can start due to the presence of several potential ignition sources and flammable materials.
As the heart of the home, your kitchen can also cause great destruction if caution is not used when working in this room. It is important to keep an eye out for the possible risk factors when it comes to fires starting in the kitchen. Here are some of those risk factors to consider:
Cooking equipment: Cooking equipment, such as stovetops and ovens, can generate high levels of heat and flames, which can easily ignite flammable materials such as grease, oil, and paper towels. Do you know how to put out a grease fire?
Unattended cooking: Leaving food unattended while cooking is a common cause of kitchen fires. A moment of distraction can lead a fire to start quickly. While it is sometimes impossible not to multitask, make sure your eyes are always on the food you are cooking.
Combustible materials: Flammable materials such as kitchen towels, cooking oils, and cleaning products should be kept away from heat sources to prevent them from catching fire. Store them away from open flames and tucked away for safe keeping!
Electrical appliances: Electrical appliances, such as microwaves, toasters, and coffee makers, can also be potential sources of fires if not used properly. A little spark can cause a massive explosion!
Gas leaks: If the kitchen is equipped with a gas stove, a gas leak can lead to an explosion or fire. Regular maintenance and inspection of gas appliances can prevent such incidents. If you are willing, an electric or induction oven can prevent a gas explosion or fire.
Poor ventilation: Inadequate ventilation can cause a buildup of smoke and heat, increasing the risk of a fire. Install an overhead exhaust hood to help clear the air and prevent buildup of smoke and heat.
To prevent kitchen fires, it is essential to take precautions such as never leaving cooking food unattended, keeping flammable materials away from heat sources, maintaining appliances and ensuring proper ventilation. It’s important to have smoke detectors in the kitchen and throughout your home and a fire extinguisher on hand in case of emergency. Almost all house fires start small, make sure you know what to do!