Sometimes when water damage affects your home in Columbia, it is obvious and you can’t miss it – like if a flood occurs. However, there are other times where water damage can be subtle and even go unnoticed because it has not occurred somewhere that is obvious. Because water damages compound the longer it is allowed to occur without being cleaned up, the water damage cleanup experts at Rumsey Construction want to help make you aware of some of the common signs that water damage is affecting your home. Here are some things you should look for:
Water Damage Cleanup In Columbia, SC
- Strong, unpleasant odors. Hidden residual water that is allowed to become stagnant over time foster mold and bacterial growth. This mold growth produces a musty, earthy smell that is very strong and does not go away. Any time a strong odor becomes present, it is a strong indicator that there is unseen water damage in the area.
- Signs of mold growth. Mold spores are microscopic and cannot be seen by the naked eye. However, when mold begins to grow on surfaces following exposure to moisture, it will begin to become visible. Discolored spots along floorboards, on ceilings and walls, under cabinets, in the kitchen or bathroom, or really anywhere in the home, could be mold growth. Mold is often a fuzzy appearance, and can be different shades of green, brown, black, and even white. If you notice suspicious discolored areas in your home, have them inspected for mold growth and, consequently, water damage (since mold requires water to grow, if mold is growing there must be a source of water).
- Stains on ceiling and walls. When water leaks behind drywall, and seeps into walls and ceilings, it will manifest in a stain or blotch. Often brownish in color, water stains may change color as they dry and become wet again. Water stains may also grow larger as more and more water penetrates the area.
- Changes in ceilings, walls, and floors. As materials that make the walls, ceiling, and floors in our home become saturated with water, they will begin to swell. This added weight might cause ceiling to sag, walls to bow, and floors to warp. Deformities and buckling in these structures are signs that there is extensive damage and it needs to be addressed immediately to avoid collapse.
- Peeling and bubbling paint. Hidden water damage will cause paint to begin to bubble up and peel off of walls. When drywall becomes saturated, it causes paint to lose adhesion.
Whenever there is water damage, whether obvious or subtle, it needs to be cleaned up as quickly as possible. When you call Rumsey Construction and Restoration to handle your water damage cleanup, we will arrive immediately to start removing the water and drying the affected areas. This type of immediate reaction will minimize the amount of damage to your home, and ensure the cleanup process is completed as soon as possible. Be on the lookout for any of the above signs in your home, and make sure to call Rumsey Construction as soon as you notice any of them so that water damage cleanup can begin right away.